.jpg)
As usual, life has its ups and downs...and I have been spending the last three weeks recovering from my recent illness.
Let me tell you up front, I'm not one for lying about the house doing nothing, it drives me batty! Waiting for others to do the things you used to (and biting your tongue when they don't do it your way) is not one of my favorite things to do. I'm from the old school of thought that says, "if you want it done right, do it yourself". Yet I have been forced to sit back and allow my daughters to take over running the household.
I must say, they've done an excellent job with the cleaning, cooking and other tasks that used to fill my day. But there are some things I'd rather do myself. Folding my own laundry and putting it away is one of them. I don't have much dresser space, so I military roll my clothes so they fit neatly in the drawers...my daughters think I just go too far with that stuff! LOL
I'm getting around much better, but I still have some off days where I have to back off and not do much at all. Its frustrating to not be able to shower when I want to, or cook dinner the way I like. Some days I can actually walk to the mailbox and get the paper/mail...while other days I have to let someone else to do it. Last week, my grandsons ran to get the Sunday Paper, so excited to help their grandma out. The four year old began snatching the paper section by section while the nine year old stood there supervising his technique. Needless to say, by the time the paper reached the porch, it was a collection of wadded up balls, and nearly impossible to straighten out and read. But--they were helping, which meant alot to me.
My favorite boys (which is what I call them) so eager to help out , you just gotta let them do it even if they screw it up. This made me think about the efforts of my daughters, trying to run the house and let me recover. They're so eager to help their old mom out, I figure the least I can do is not notice when they do things differently than I would. It means alot to me that I have daughters who don't complain about things like this--they just do what needs to be done.
I know a few kids of their generation (kids born in the early 80's) who would be at a loss as to how to wash a dish, turn on the stove or do some food shopping. Not only would they be lost, they would bitch and moan about it as well! I'm lucky to have my girls, each one has their own particular knack for certain things, so between the two of them, just about everything is covered.
I thought by the time I reached my age, there would be fewer lessons I would be learning, since I was a stubborn ass most of my life and learned almost all my lessons the hard way. But I'm finding now with my recovery, I am still needing to learn the lesson of patience. That, and not to be so persnickity about things. Nobody's gonna die if the shirts are folded to the left than to the right, and okay, the noodles for dinner required a bit more chewing than I would've liked. Who cares? We have a roof over our heads, food on the table (cause there were many times we didn't!), and I am one lucky granny to have both my daughters and my grandsons living with me, loving me, and taking care of not only me, but each other.
I'm no lover of the lesson of patience, believe me. Patience is only acquired by being tested to the limit and paying close attention to how you responsd to them. The trials and tribulations of life , those things that just get under your skin to the point of madness.
I'm paying attention now, albeit because I really have no other choice~but nonetheless I'm learning to be patient. With my family, it is easier to be patient...it's much harder to be patient with myself.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!
With Hugs and Kisses,
Granni
Let me tell you up front, I'm not one for lying about the house doing nothing, it drives me batty! Waiting for others to do the things you used to (and biting your tongue when they don't do it your way) is not one of my favorite things to do. I'm from the old school of thought that says, "if you want it done right, do it yourself". Yet I have been forced to sit back and allow my daughters to take over running the household.
I must say, they've done an excellent job with the cleaning, cooking and other tasks that used to fill my day. But there are some things I'd rather do myself. Folding my own laundry and putting it away is one of them. I don't have much dresser space, so I military roll my clothes so they fit neatly in the drawers...my daughters think I just go too far with that stuff! LOL
I'm getting around much better, but I still have some off days where I have to back off and not do much at all. Its frustrating to not be able to shower when I want to, or cook dinner the way I like. Some days I can actually walk to the mailbox and get the paper/mail...while other days I have to let someone else to do it. Last week, my grandsons ran to get the Sunday Paper, so excited to help their grandma out. The four year old began snatching the paper section by section while the nine year old stood there supervising his technique. Needless to say, by the time the paper reached the porch, it was a collection of wadded up balls, and nearly impossible to straighten out and read. But--they were helping, which meant alot to me.
My favorite boys (which is what I call them) so eager to help out , you just gotta let them do it even if they screw it up. This made me think about the efforts of my daughters, trying to run the house and let me recover. They're so eager to help their old mom out, I figure the least I can do is not notice when they do things differently than I would. It means alot to me that I have daughters who don't complain about things like this--they just do what needs to be done.
I know a few kids of their generation (kids born in the early 80's) who would be at a loss as to how to wash a dish, turn on the stove or do some food shopping. Not only would they be lost, they would bitch and moan about it as well! I'm lucky to have my girls, each one has their own particular knack for certain things, so between the two of them, just about everything is covered.
I thought by the time I reached my age, there would be fewer lessons I would be learning, since I was a stubborn ass most of my life and learned almost all my lessons the hard way. But I'm finding now with my recovery, I am still needing to learn the lesson of patience. That, and not to be so persnickity about things. Nobody's gonna die if the shirts are folded to the left than to the right, and okay, the noodles for dinner required a bit more chewing than I would've liked. Who cares? We have a roof over our heads, food on the table (cause there were many times we didn't!), and I am one lucky granny to have both my daughters and my grandsons living with me, loving me, and taking care of not only me, but each other.
I'm no lover of the lesson of patience, believe me. Patience is only acquired by being tested to the limit and paying close attention to how you responsd to them. The trials and tribulations of life , those things that just get under your skin to the point of madness.
I'm paying attention now, albeit because I really have no other choice~but nonetheless I'm learning to be patient. With my family, it is easier to be patient...it's much harder to be patient with myself.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!
With Hugs and Kisses,
Granni
No comments:
Post a Comment